Pyrite concretion - Russia
Hahaaa, went to a little rock shop today. I already was a little apprehensive from all the fake/dyed stuff. Saw a little bowl labeled ‘ocean jasper’ with malachite and some more dyed stones. I mentioned to husband that they had some malachite and the woman behind the counter just glared at me until we left.
Needless to say, we didn’t buy anything.
Just a reminder that I do accept custom orders! If there’s a certain stone you’re looking for, or a stone with a certain metaphysical property, or whatever, just let me know! I will be happy to show you what I have :)
Definitely recommend to my followers! I know I’ve done a lot of gushing over her work, but she really is an amazing artist. If you have a cab that you’re in love with, she’ll treat it with the utmost respect. And you honestly cannot beat her custom prices.
SO, Husband and I bought a bearded dragon today. We named him Socrates (despite my insistence that we name him Agate). He’s absolutely gorgeous, and in the coming days, I’ll post pictures on my personal blog.
Spodumene var. Kunzite from Nuristan, Laghman, Afghanistan. It has a delicate lilac colour and such sturdy crystals.
Quartz var. ‘Smoky’ Citrine with schorl inclusions from Brandberg, Goboboseb, Namibia. When you see it in the light, it has some slight phantoms. I never thought we’d find a natural citrine, especially one as solidly gorgeous as this one. Just seeing it in the light makes my chest ache.
Stunning fire agate
The irridescent effect of the most beautiful of agates is caused by the same phenomenon that makes a thin layer of petrol shimmer in glowing colours on a puddle of water, called thin film interference. It is similar to the glows of opal, in that the colours change as the stone is rotated under a light source, but caused by a different interaction of light with contrasting mineral organisation in silica. The colours are due to interference between the light rays reflected from layers of different composition within the agate that are of a similar size to visible light wavelengths. Thicker layers produce reds and greens, and thinner ones the rarer blue and violets.
It is found in the southwest USA, Mexico and Brazil and formed in a hydrothermal geological environment from hot mineralised fluids precipitating silica and iron oxide when encountering changed conditions. These resulted from huge circulating cells of heated waters deep in the Earth interacting with magmas.
Another kind of agate gifted with similarly beautiful optical effects due to a different phenomenon is iris agate, discussed in a post here: http://tinyurl.com/qj47hjo
Image credit: Jessa DowAnderson Cooper
Bekkathyst’s Autumn 2014 Giveaway
Yes! It’s time for another giveaway! This time it’s to celebrate my Etsy shop reaching 500 sales! Thank you all so much for your support! Please read this post thoroughly before entering.
Winner Will Receive:
- 5 wire wrapped pendants made by me! Rainbow moonstone, labradorite, smoky quartz, clear quartz and an amethyst with inclusions.
- 13 different stones. Tumbled malachite, 2 tumbled fluorite, tumbled lapis lazuli, tumbled amethyst, 2 amethyst crystals, 2 spinel crystals, quartz crystal, polished labradorite, rose quartz chunk, and one dyed pink agate slice.
- 2 packs of stick incense. Lavender and eucalyptus and green tea.
- 2 packs of cone insence. Vanilla and eucalyptus and green tea.
- 1 oil diffuser
- 1 wooden incense burner
- 3 tea light candles
- You must be following me, so you can get updates if anything about the giveaway changes.
- Favorite my Etsy shop if you have an Etsy account.
- DO NOT tag this post as giveaway. Tumblr staff will find this post and delete the notes and ruin it for everyone. PLEASE do not tag it as giveaway.. please.
- Reblog this post to enter. Likes count, too. Don’t use giveaway blogs.
- Each entry will be assigned a number and the winner will be chosen by a random number generator.
- The giveaway ends November 4th at 9 pm Pacific time.
- The winner will be messaged and must respond with their full name and address within 24 hours, or a new winner will be chosen.
- Please respect me and my rules, and have fun!
Zoisite var. Tanzanite.
Let me tell you the reasons why I love Husband. Despite joking about diamond necklaces and expensive restaurant dates for our first anniversary, he still knows me well enough to think to himself, “Nah, she wants a mineral. I’ll get her a nice mineral.” He then proceeded to keep this beauty hidden, for a good month and a half, in our closet. Somehow. Meanwhile, I just go, “Hey, what do you want?”